Thursday, June 24, 2010

Day 11 Last Day in Medjugorje: One Last Trip up Crucifix Mountain; The Medjugorje Effect.


This is part of an ongoing story; if you are just joining the journey, you may want to start at the beginning.  


Day 11 – Medjugorje, Last Day

It is my last opportunity to hike Crucifix Mountain, and given our tight schedule today before we depart, and the fact that I would love a nice shower afterwards, I opt to skip breakfast.  I figure I’ve had enough bread anyway – I’m discovering that my otherwise mild gluten intolerance has reached its limit.  My body doth protest.  That’s what fruit and protein bars are for.

This hike is not quite as intensely spiritual as my last one, partially because I am all about business; I have two hours to do this hike (that normally takes three) and get back in time for a shower.  However, it’s another beautiful day, I am loving the hike, and the prayer and spiritual clarity and devotion hiking up is still absolutely wonderful.  I make it up to the top to the 360 degree view of the mountains from the big white crucifix.  I say a prayer of gratitude, bow deeply, and head back down.  I make the journey, prayers and all, in 90 minutes.  I feel absolutely exhilarated.  I am so glad I got to have this experience before I get back on that ferry. 

I feel a bit of sadness on my way back to our pension.  Then a very calming feeling rises within me, and a sense that this is not goodbye to Medjugorje – I will return.  When someone asked me yesterday if I plan to come back, I could not say.  Truly, who knows – I guess I won’t know if I will come again until I arrive again.  What I am feeling now is that remarkable Mary of Medjugorje peace, and the circle of welcome that draws me in.  I can live this spirit and transmission anytime – it breathes in me now, so there is no departure. 

I enjoy my last shower in Medjugorje as much as I can because I figure the shower on the ferry will not be so great!  I still make it in time for my last English mass in Medjugorje.  I sit inside this time.  A very young Irish priest is doing the mass, and during his homily he reveals his story of conversion, his call to priesthood, and his innocence before God.  I have respect for his journey and his sincerity.  I have enjoyed the Irish priests here this week (there’s a large contingent of Irish pilgrims who arrived on Monday); they tell the best jokes and the best stories (I laugh out loud throughout the homilies). Yesterday, a different priest expressed that that he and his English speaking colleagues (I think there were 20 priests on the altar) feel renewed here.  He said they experience the best confessions, the best mass.  He said, "Thank you for making us feel like priests again." That really touched me.  I was happy for him and all the priests that they could experience that renewal not only with God, Mary, and Jesus, but with humanity.

***
After a quick lunch at Alf’s and some last minute shopping, we return to our pension with just enough time to haul our luggage down the stairs and board the bus. This is the first time I’ve been in an enclosed space with my fellow pilgrims since we arrived in Medjugorje.  There were always other pension guests at the meals, so we weren’t all alone.  I notice immediately that the energy of the group has changed.  It seems we’ve been “Medjugorjied” – we are all lighter, sweeter, more peaceful.  I appreciate the shift, and am happy for them that they had their own, private, beautiful experiences in Medjugorje .  I gaze out the window lovingly on our way to Split.

During the ride, Gus invites us to share any stories of our time in Medjugorje.  My folks share their story of the miracle of the sun.  Just minutes later, one of the pilgrims points out the window and cries out that the miracle of the sun is happening again.  This time, most of the people on the bus see it too.  Some are touched, some respond with a kind of mellow “oh, yeah, that’s kind of cool.”  I do not see it, but I feel full enough with my own experiences that I don’t feel left out.

***
In the overnight ferry back to Italy, we have the same room (oh joy) but with cleaner sheets this time. We are well trained and make sure to remove the toilet paper before showering.  Dinner is fairly uneventful – no mystery seafood and no puppet fish heads.  After dinner, I notice that I’m glad that the ferry is less crowded.  It means less cigarette smoke and more quiet time on the decks without running into anybody. 

One of the best things about being in the middle of the Adriatic Sea is the absolute darkness of night.  Aside from the lights on the deck, the only thing that lets me know that there is water that meets the sky is the sound of waves lapping up onto the ferry.  I feel comfort and magic in this darkness and the stars that dot the sky.  The chilly wind and sea air is refreshing, especially compared to our stuffy tiny rooms. 

I walk around the deck several times, praying the rosary.  I notice how it evokes the energy of Mary. I had been feeling restless and uneasy; the prayer calms me.  It feels like shaking an Etch-a-Sketch clean. There are many different things I do to shake my Etch-A-Sketch; prayer is the perfect method tonight.

Coming next week: Day 12 Osimo, Loreto, Assisi: Falling in love (again) with  Italy; Voices of Angels; The House of Mary & Joseph.

I’d love to hear your thoughts and insights! Post a comment here or email Sonya@illuminatedwisdom.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment