Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 10 in Medjugorje: Meeting with a Visionary, Catholic Rehabilitation Center (85% Healing Rate!); A Field of Love at Adoration Service.


This is part of an ongoing story; if you are just joining the journey, you may want to start at the beginning. 

Day 10 – Medjugorje

Gus announces at breakfast that he has arranged a surprise for us this morning – a private meeting, just for our group, with one of the visionaries, Ivanka.  I can feel the twitter of excitement cascade through the room like a wave.  Shortly after breakfast, we pile into a series of cabs and go to the other side of town to Ivanka’s house.

When we arrive, we stand around in her driveway her driveway for a few minutes, and then she comes outside and gives us a talk. I am immediately struck by how she is glowing; her love for God and Mary radiates from her like a beam. Though her English is pretty good, she gives her formal address to us in Croatian with an English translator. She gives us a history of how the visions started, and it strikes me that she’s probably given this particular speech hundreds of times but it’s still a fresh and beautiful account. Then she emphasizes that she is not special; that she does not know why Mary chose her and the other visionaries to be messengers; and she wants us all to know that we are equals.  She focuses on the teachings of Mary and not on herself. One of my favorite quotes from her: “There is only one God and you can call him whatever you like. God is Love. God is Happiness. And the only thing is that we humans have divided ourselves.” 

Despite her humility and clarity about not wanting to be put on a pedestal, several pilgrims are treating her like she’s a rock-star from heaven and that even being around her will heal them. One pilgrim asks: “Can you heal me?” Ivanka’s response is: “My hands are just like yours…”  I have two reactions: one is eye rolling, the other is compassion for their innocence.  They sooo desperately want her to be their savior so that they can be saved.  Some are crying, others try to touch her to get some sort of energy jolt, and after the talk a few are pushing others around to make sure they get a picture with her.  Their demonstrative worship makes me want to balance things out by giving Ivanka some extra room to breathe.  I’m moved to just stand in the back quietly and let others have their experience with Ivanka.

In the cab on the way back to the pension, my mother tells me stories about how Ivanka and many of the visionaries have been physically hurt by pilgrims’ obsession: broken arms, torn rotator cuffs, lots of bruises, etc.  Who knew that you need a bodyguard to be a visionary? (Yes, literally, they need bodyguards now.)

***

On tap for this afternoon is a group trip to a Catholic rehabilitation center.  Our tour guide explains to us that Cenacolo has the highest rate of healing – 85%.  It was started by a nun whose philosophy of rehabilitation is simple – fix how you live your life and that will fix the addiction.  She teaches hard work, prayer, simple living, and the support of community.
 
My parents and I decide to do a little shopping – off the beaten commercial path -  before meeting up with the group.  We arrive at Cenacolo early, and a handsome young Italian man greets us at the gate. He shakes my parents’ hands, and when he turns to shake my hand, his expression changes; he gives me a smile as bright as the sun, and I feel like his gaze penetrates right to my core.  Still reeling (is it warm out here?), at his instruction we walk into their little chapel and I am brought back to earth with the beautiful icons and the simple humility of the sanctuary.  It’s a very sweet place, all built by the hands of the Cenacolo community. This is a photo of their main altar. 




Eventually our group finds us and we are ushered into a community room where two of the members give us their stories.  One of them is recovering from drug addiction and he is Catholic; the other is a lost young man who needed some guidance, and he isn’t Catholic. The nun who started Cenacolo felt the call to support “disillusioned young men and women who live in desperation and hopelessness, convinced that life has no meaning or value.” I understand that men and women with all kinds of struggles come here. I enjoy hearing their courageously honest reflections, which include the challenges of living in the community.  Both of them have come to a similar conclusion; despite the challenges and difficulties of living here, it has made them better, more solid, men.  They are grateful for the experience, and I feel truly happy for them.  I would recommend this community for anyone who is lost in addiction or just in life in general.  There are several centers in the Southeastern US, South America, Italy, and this one in Medjugorje.  Men and women live separately.  The centers survive on donations and the labor of the community members – no one pays anything to live there.  Remarkable.

***
After dinner we have multi-cultural mass, and then tonight there is a special service called “Adoration.”  My mom explains the way St. James does Adoration is not like anything else she’s experienced.  I am moved to go.  During the break between mass and Adoration my parents save our seats in the church and pray the rosary while I try to find an open internet café with an open computer to talk to my husband.  When I return, the church is completely full and in a sweet silence.  I find my folks, sit down next to them, and promptly get embraced with the sweetest, most loving hugs.  I don’t question why, or what happened – I just sit in their arms for a long time, deeply touched. 

I confess that I’ve never been much into devotional singing.  I’ve had a few moments of ecstatic states with ancient Greek or Sufi chants, but outside of those occasions, I find “Kumbaya” so cliché it’s a bit embarrassing.  It could be because my association with sacred music is that it’s in some ancient language I don’t understand and it’s somber (as it is in the Orthodox Churches).  It’s all about perspective! Adoration in Medjugorje is a mix of devotional songs, reading from the Bible, and silent contemplation and prayer.  We sing in Croatian, English, German, Italian, and French.  The choir uses an overhead projector to display the words so everyone can sing along in every language.  To my surprise, I am touched.  I am loving these songs, even when I don’t sing along.  At one moment I look across the aisle to see the light touching a woman’s blissful face in such a way it looks like she’s glowing – she closes her eyes and sings with her true heart.  I am so happy for her.  I am so happy for all of us.  The feeling of love and devotion in the room is palpable and I am absolutely carried along with it. 

And, yes, they do sing Kumbaya.  I can’t resist an eye roll, so I give into it, but the rest of Adoration is true adoration for me. We all walk home in a sweet state of bliss and sleep deeply.

Coming Thursday: Day 11 Last Day in Medjugorje: One Last Trip up Crucifix Mountain; The Medjugorje Effect.

I’d love to hear your thoughts and insights! Post a comment here or email Sonya@illuminatedwisdom.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment